MTU AES General Weekly meetings are:
Wednesday, 7pm in the EERC 316.
Meeting Minutes: Wednesday, Sep 21st 2011 (written on Friday, September 23rd, 2011 by aes)
This was the new member meeting and so we enjoyed pizza and pop as is the custom. Besides the normal organizational stuff being talked about (most of which is on our About Page
) we talked about the following:
- Alex M. showed off his awesome planar magnetic speakers and demonstrated some of their characteristics (good & bad).
- Planned Projects (have one of your own? just let us know!):
- Bookshelf speakers for the lab. If you have a cool idea either email it to the list or bring it up at our next meeting.
- Speaker Building Competition: We will give you a few drivers (and maybe some components) and your job is to come up with some nice or ghetto speakers! Cardboard is usually a favorite of the patrons....
- Amplifier Project: build a small amplifier to start understanding how they work. We can do both tube and transistor depending on interest.
- Upcoming Lectures (all TBD for now, but they'll probably be in this order starting next week)
- Anatomy of a Speaker - How and why does it work? What are the limitations? What are other types of speakers? What can be done to increase the response of my current speaker/setup? Make sure to not miss this one!
- Basic Speaker Configuration - Come learn how many different ways a speaker can be arranged and configured in an enclosure. What is the benefit/cons of a 2 way vs 3 way system? What on earth is a 1-way horn loaded setup?
- Amp Distortion - Alex wanted to talk about this, and frankly I don't know that much so I'm looking forward to it just as you should be!
- Have something else that you think we should talk about or have something that YOU'D like to talk about? Just let us know and we will try to hook you up.
- Winter Carnival
- Please start thinking about crazy ideas you might want to bring into fruition!
- We should have around 30kW of solid steady power.
- All the 40+ subwoofers from MTX are still available - hopefully we can pick up some better mids this year.